We say in Dream Year that there is a history to your dream. All of us have "defining moments" that helped shape our creative potential. Here are a few of mine:
- When I was a kid, my children's pastor was a Barnum & Bailey-trained circus clown. The events he put-on for our community were nothing short of spectacular. Circus tent, carnival rides, staged productions with an "arch nemesis" trying to shut it all down unless we brought enough friends. It has ruined children's ministries for me with my own kids
- When I was in college, I got to work backstage at a Newsboys show thanks to a friend interning with the band's production director. I got to help set-up the video projectors and load-in the big giant microphones on the Step Up tour. It peeled back the layers on high-end concert production. Made it doable in my mind.
- In my first job as an advertising writer in Dayton, Ohio, I asked the art department to help me launch a summertime event series for teens in the community. We rented out an grist mill that had been converted into a theater and saw hundreds of kids come out each week. I was hooked on gatherings and produced events.
- In my first church job, I produced a multimedia program with a 30-foot video screen, live band, actors, performers and interwoven narrative. By some freak twist of circumstances, it came-off flawlessly. That was totally unforseen. =)
- In 2002, Mark Batterson paid for me to attend Catalyst Conference in Atlanta with his team. I was greeted in the parking lot and unbeknownst to me, my name was radio'd-ahead to a throng of cheering paparazzi. I fell in love with the systems of delighting people.
- In 2008, while church planting, I invited 8 pastors to come to Reston, Virginia to speak at the first Whiteboard Sessions. It was a viral success, drawing nearly 1,000 people purely by word of mouth. Humbled by God's provision and affirmation.
- I went on to work for Catalyst and have since had the privilege of helping to shape the Elephant Room, Chick-fil-A Leadercast, JD Greer's Gospel Summit and other events.
- Ainsley and I started STORY which is the culmination of every bit of inspiration and theory that resides within us. Our team is growing larger and better every year. The tribe that is coming around the brand is remarkable. And the plans we have for 2013 are pee-in-the-pants frighteningly good.
- Next week, I'm headed to Montreal for C2MTL, which is hosted by Cirque Du Soleil, Fast Company and Sid Lee. Am expecting another defining moment...
Would love to hear a bit of the history of your own dream. What events have brought you to where you are?